Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Sun 7000 setup for VMware ESX with NFS
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Storage Related Topics and Discussions
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Sun 7000 setup for VMware ESX with NFS
Sun 7000 setup for VMware ESX with NFS 10 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 2
How to set up a Sun 7000 Unified Storage system for NFS sharing to a VMware ESX Server.

As usual, there isn't a lot of clean and simple documents out there for this. Thought I would document it here for people to
be able to use and share.

I'll assume you know how to initialize your 7000 storage initially. If you need more instructions, just ask and I'll post some more details
here.

I definitely prefer using NFS for VMware because it has several advantages over iSCSI when it comes to simplicity and management.
There are a couple of settings you'll want to make locally on the 7000 Unified Storage System to get it presenting the data in
which VMware will want to see it. It's pretty simple, but I get questions on it often.

Create your share and make sure it's published with a protocol of NFS. ( Put it in a project, this allows for greater management later if you like!)

Next, go to Shares -> "Sharename" -> Protocol -> NFS and put "root" in as the Anonymous User, it defaults to "nobody" as a security
precaution initially - which is the correct thing to do.

Next, to tighten down the list of specific servers and to open up access rights on them, go down to the NFS Exceptions section. Add the specific
hosts which are your VMWare servers accessing this NFS Share. The important part here is to be able to select the check box for "Root Access"
and make sure you set access to be Read/Write.

You should now be able to mount the filing system from the VMware server and be able to be the user root on your VMware server and traverse
to /vmfs/volumes/"sharename" and be able to change ownership of files and/or work with the VMDK files as you would be normally accustomed
to in a traditional NFS environment. This is useful when you're copying over VMDK files from other data sources as root and want to maintain
proper filing system permissions.

You now have all the other capabilities of the 7000 storage, including replication, snapshots, etc.... Be careful not to assume you have a DR or SRM in place because
you do these things. That takes much more detailed setup and configuration.

These are simple easy instructions to get you going smoothly and working quickly. Enjoy!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Go to topPage: 1
Moderators: halls
get the latest posts directly to your desktop