Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Sun 7000 series Storage CIFS and NFS Permissions
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Storage Related Topics and Discussions
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Sun 7000 series Storage CIFS and NFS Permissions
Sun 7000 series Storage CIFS and NFS Permissions 10 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 2
This is another area that I've found, which I thought I would share.

On a Sun 7110, 7210, 7310, and 7410 ( plus the simulator) the user interface is absolutely stellar. The user interface is a little different,
in that many of the buttons blend into the display much to seamlessly.

Once you've initialized your storage, remember there is one and only one pool of storage, unless you have the clustered version of the appliance.

You now need to share the storage to the network, since it's NAS storage to begin with!

If just starting out, it is best to create a Project. This will be a grouping of like storage. If you have an Oracle database, and you create multiple
storage locations for it, which you should (there is a great White paper from Sun describing how to do it in detail, then you might group that
database into a project. I'm referring to archive logs, redo logs, datafiles, being on separate storage points on the 7000 within the same "project".
You can manage this as a project very simply when you're finished setting it up, like replication options (otherwise you need to do it item by item).

Create a file system, then edit it. You'll see a whole new group of windows become available. Under shares, and sub tab protocols you see a listing
of network presentation options. The data gets presented via a protocol such as NFS, CIFS, iSCSI, HTTP ( WebDAV), sftp, etc...

Under the "Access" tab you will see a very complicated set of permissions. These are in support of NFS-V4 and MS CIFS permissions. Very granular.
There is a Sun Microsystems document for CIFS management guide. It is not a complete description of identity mapping, but
this is what the 7000 storage server used as a base line when it was built.

Getting the unit to do a mapping between an AD environment and a Unix environment is a little tricky, and mostly only needed
when users from two different environments ( Unix/Linux and Microsoft ) are trying to get to the same exact files on the NAS
unit itself.

I don't have a way to put it on our download section at this moment, but when I do I'll post it there in the reference area.

Bottom line is you can make this storage very secure internally, but finding out what is needed is the tricky part.
I found the rest of the web pretty lacking when it came to finding answers on this.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Go to topPage: 1
Moderators: halls
get the latest posts directly to your desktop